Socially acceptable, environmentally responsible and economically viable rural households in bukedea and teso at large
About PKWI Cooperative
P’kwi Cooperative was founded in 1993 during the insurgency in teso region that left the rural women exposed to atrocities of war and civil strife. A group of 12 women started the initiative that has now successfully grown beyond a self-help group to a well-established and recognized farm organization with established formal structures. The Pkwi Cooperatives Office works to develop, grow and support the local farmers as a means of socio-economic development for individuals and local communities, training program to build the capacity of the Pkwi team, cooperative leaders and the farmers.Read more
• Attracted and have partners from within and outside Uganda to work with :-NASARI(national semi – arid research institute), C.AVA(cassava adding value), UOSPA(Uganda oil seed processors association), Makerere university, SNV ,JAPAN, CARD Uganda ,RUFORUM(regional universities forum for capacity building in agriculture),Marcus Gurvey Pan African University and many more
• Farmers have adopted the technology of processing cassava chips, cassava flour, groundnuts.
• Moved from a community group to a registered cooperative
• Farmers level of income increased e.g.: being able to build better houses, take their children to better school
• Farmers adopted and practice recommended agronomical practices like planting in lines, timely planting
• Members have the opportunity to go and represent and attend workshops, conferences in and outside Uganda.
• P’kwi now is well structured with better buildings, an organogram and household model that eases p’kwi’s work.
• Received a donation of 15million shillings from HE the president of Uganda Yoweri Kaguta Museveni for purchasing a service van for transportation of p’kwi products.
• P’kwi is now a well-established site for students placement for internship
• Increase in membership from 12 women to 15000 members both men, women and youth.